Skip to content

Union County, North Carolina

Image banner

Clerk of Courts

Clerk of Superior Court

J.R. Rowell
Phone: 704-698-3100
Fax: 704-698-3101


Phone: 704-292-2746

See full contact directory

What clinical services do we provide?

  • Children’s Health
  • Women’s Health
  • General Health
  • WIC
  • Medical Records

What community services do we provide?

  • ABC (About Breast Cancer)
  • Breast Feeding Peer Counselor
  • Care Coordination for Children
  • Child Care Health Consultant Program
  • Community Health Education
  • Parenting with a Purpose
  • Pregnancy Care Management
  • Public Health Preparedness
  • Vital Records

What are Union County’s privacy practices?

All patient services are confidential as required by North Carolina and federal law.

Communicable Disease Control Program

Communicable disease is defined as "illness due to a specific infectious agent or its toxic products that arises through transmission of that agent or its products from an infected person, animal, or reservoir to a susceptible host, either directly or indirectly through an intermediate plant or animal host, vector, or the inanimate environment." Communicable disease pathogens include bacteria, viruses, fungi, parasites and prions.

Communicable diseases can have a significant impact on the population. The surveillance and control of such diseases is an important part of protecting the public's health. The Communicable Disease program primarily deals with infectious diseases that are reportable by law.

The program also deals with other communicable diseases of public health significance, such as:

  • Influenza
  • Norovirus infection
  • Certain healthcare-associated infections.

For additional information please visit the NC Communicable Disease website.

The program responsibilities include:

  • Monitoring disease outbreaks
  • Monitoring reportable disease rates
  • Providing education to the public and medical community to prevent the spread of disease
  • Implementation of and enforcement of control measures to prevent the spread of infection.
  • Control and prevention of rabies and other diseases of animal origin that can affect humans.

Rabies is a vaccine preventable disease in humans, dogs, cats and ferrets as well as some domestic livestock. All mammals are susceptible to rabies and it is nearly always fatal. Rabies can be prevented in humans with timely and appropriate treatment. In North Carolina the disease most often occurs in wild animals especially skunks, raccoons, bats and foxes. Raccoon rabies is present in the raccoon population in virtually every North Carolina county. For additional information on Rabies please visit:

STD Health Services

STD and HIV prevention and control services includes providing clinical services, education and awareness efforts and monitoring disease trends through surveillance and epidemiology. STD Clinic provides testing, treatment and education at no cost to the client for:

  • Syphilis
  • Gonorrhea
  • Chlamydia
  • HIV / AIDS
  • Other sexually transmitted infections

NC DHHS STD/ HIV Information for Individuals and Families


Our Immunization Clinic provides vaccines to people of all ages, including those traveling internationally. Public Health offers vaccines for preventable diseases to reduce the spread of vaccine-preventable diseases within Union County. The following vaccines are offered through our immunization clinic:

  • Gardasil
  • Hepatitis A (Adult) – 2 shot series
  • Hepatitis A (Pediatric)
  • Hepatitis B – 3 shot series
  • Meningococcal Vaccine
  • MMR
  • Twinrix – 3 shot series
  • Pentacel
  • Typhoid
  • Polio
  • Varicella
  • Tdap
  • Yellow Fever

In addition to vaccines, Blood Titer testing is available for the following:

Spanish Immunization Schedule (adults)

International Travel Immunizations

With the mission of public health to promote health, prevent disease and protect the community, International Travel Immunizations allow us to assist those traveling internationally the opportunity for disease protection. A Registered Nurse will review travel itinerary, provide immunization education and vaccination(s). A Vaccination record will be provided to you for your records.

Union County Lost and Found Pets

Online Search Instructions

Performance Guarantee Review Application


Why can I not pull up mortgage information on the deed look‐up site?
The deed look‐up site is ONLY for deeds and plats. No mortgage information is available online.

How do I find out about outstanding liens (mechanics liens) and judgments?
Contact the Clerk of Court's office in the courthouse at (704) 698‐3100.

Can anyone access the information contained in the Register of Deeds Office?
Yes. The information in our office is public record. You can come in to access all records, but the Register of Deed’s website only has deeds from 1993 and plots from 1842 available.

How do I file separation papers?
You will need to see an attorney that will prepare the agreement and have it notarized properly. The fee to record is $26.00 for the first fifteen pages and $4.00 a page thereafter.

How do I add or remove names from a deed?
Deed name changes require the submittal of a new deed to the Register of Deeds office. We suggest that you consult an attorney unless you are familiar with creating legal documents.

How can I register a business or assumed name?
Filing fee for an assumed name is $26. Please visit the State of North Carolina's Start a Business page for more information and forms.

Can the Register of Deeds tell me who owns property at a specific address?
The Register of Deeds land records system is name‐based. To search for a property by address, Please contact the tax assessor's office at 704-283‐3746.

What is the excise tax calculation on a deed?
Aug. 1, 1991, to present...........$2 per thousand
1969 to July 1991.....................$1 per thousand
Prior to 1968.............................$1.10 per thousand

How can I obtain a birth, death or marriage certificate?
The Union County Register of Deeds office ONLY has certificates for the events that occurred IN Union County. A spouse, parent, grandparent, child, grandchild or self may request a certified copy of these certificates. You may come to the office with a valid photo ID, or you may request a copy online. If requesting online, you must state your relationship to the person whose certificate is requested. The cost for a certified copy is $10.00. All major credit cards, debit cards are accepted online and in person.

How do I obtain a reappointment for my Notary Public?
All Notary forms are available on the Secretary of State's website at When the Secretary of State approves your Notary commission, you will receive notice instructing you to appear in the Register of Deeds office to take your oath.

Do I need an appointment to take a notary public oath? What should I bring with me?
No appointment is necessary. Bring the Notary commission letter and your driver's license. There is a $10.00 fee which can be paid using a major credit or debit card or cash or money order.

What are the steps to get married?
Please see our resources under Marriage Requirements.

How do I change my name after marriage?
This matter is handled at the Social Security Administration. They are located at 2201 Coronation Boulevard, Charlotte, NC, 28277 or 1‐800‐772‐1213. You will need a certified copy of your marriage license from the Register of Deeds, for which the cost is $10.00. Payment can be made using a major credit or debit card or cash or money order.

How do I change my name for reasons other than marriage?
Contact the Clerk of Court's office at 704-698‐3100.

How do I obtain a copy of my divorce?
If the divorce was filed in Union County, then you can obtain a copy at the Clerk of Courts office, 704-698‐3100.

How do I add the father's name to the child's birth certificate?
If the parents are not married, they will need to have an affidavit of parentage filled out at the Health Department. Both parents need to go together with picture ID. If parents are married, please contact the Register of Deeds office at 704-283‐3610.

How do I amend my child's name on the birth certificate?
You will need to provide an early school record for proof of the correct spelling of the name. If the child is under school age, you may need to provide hospital record or immunization record. Please call the Register of Deeds office for further information at 704-283‐3610.

Who can obtain a copy of their DD214?
The veteran or the spouse of the veteran.